We have 3 types of flu vaccine right now.
- Flulaval for age 6 months old and up. If they are 8 years old or younger and have never had a flu shot before, they are supposed to get another dose 1 month after the first one.
- FluBlok for age 18 and up, especially for age 50 and up
- High Dose Fluzone only for age 65 and up
The LOW COST flu vaccine for uninsured children 18 years old or younger is here!
- More effective than regular flu vaccine (in age 50 and up)
- 3 times stronger than regular flu vaccine
- Quadrivalent (protects against 4 strains of flu)
- Better technology (DNA) was used in making it (replicates the flu virus exactly)
If patient is 65 and up, they have 2 options:
- High Dose Fluzone (4 times stronger than regular flu vaccine and is TRIVALENT)
- FluBlok (3 times stronger than regular flu vaccine and is QUADRIVALENT)
The adult and children’s flu vaccine is available at the Garland Public Health Immunization Clinic, 206 Carver St. Clinic hours are from 7:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. Monday through Friday. For more information call 972-205-3370.
Prevention & Control Measures
Citizens can take proactive steps to protect themselves, including:
- Avoid others who appear sick.
- Cover your mouth when you cough or sneeze.
- Frequently washing hands with soap and water.
- Keep your hands away from your eyes and nose. This is a common transmission mode for flu.
- Using hand sanitizer when soap and water are not available.