Driver Safety Course
You may request your citation be dismissed by completing a driver safety course (DSC). Your citation cost will be $144 ($169 if you received the citation in a school zone), and you will also incur the cost of ordering your driving record from the Texas Department of Public Safety, as well as paying for the Defensive Driving Class of your choice.
Not every violation and every driver will qualify for the DSC option. To be eligible for the DSC option, the following requirements must be met:
- Your violation must be a classified as a moving violation
- If you have multiple violations, you can only request DSC on one violation
- You must not have completed a driving safety course to dismiss a citation within the last 12 months and must not be in the process of taking the course for another traffic violation.
- You must not be the holder of a Commercial Driver’s License (CDL)
- A speeding violation must not exceed the posted speed limit by more than 24 MPH
- You must possess a valid Texas driver’s license or active duty military ID (that is not classified as a commercial driver’s license CDL)
- The violation did not occur in a construction zone with workers present
- The violation did not occur while passing a school bus
- All juvenile defendants who are under 17 years of age, cannot request DSC Online. You must come to court with your parent. You will be mailed a Court hearing notice.
- The offense cannot be for failing to leave ID at the scene of an accident.
If you do not meet these qualifications, please contact the Court at 972-205-2330 to discuss other options.
HOW DO I MAKE A REQUEST FOR DRIVER’S SAFETY COURSE?
In person at: 1791 W. Avenue B. Garland, TX 75042.
By Mail: Include the Court fee; copy of driver’s license; and a copy of insurance to above address. Please provide a good mailing address.
To obtain the proper Court fee amount contact Court Clerk at 972-205-2330.
Request can also be put in the Drop box (located on the outside of Court Building)