The Library Board is composed of nine citizens that are appointed by the City Council. The Director of Libraries serves as ex officio member of the Board. The normal term of office is two years; four members shall complete their full term of office in odd numbered years and five members shall complete their full term of office in even numbered years.
The Garland Charter and Code of Ordinances establish certain qualifications that must be met by members of boards and commissions. In addition to special qualifications for service, a board member must:
- Have been a resident of the state of Texas for one year and of Garland for six months prior to the date of appointment.
- Be a qualified voter at time of appointment.
- Not be in arrears on City taxes, utility service charges, or other obligations owed the City.
- Have not been convicted of a felony.
- Have not been convicted of a Class A misdemeanor.
- Not be an adversary party to pending litigation against the City.
For more information, please visit the City's Boards and Commissions page.